Previous ◁ | ▷ Next

Mt. Holly Springs Borough

Our Town History

Mount Holly Springs history can be traced back as far as 1750 when the first settlers migrated here after the French and Indian War.  Since that time, the town had many names including Trent's Gap, Papertown, Kidderminister and finally, Mount Holly Springs.  The first iron works started in Trent's Gap in 1765 and the industry lasted until as late as 1851.  The paper industry started in 1812 and, because of the availability of pure water springs, continues to flourish to this day.

In 1873, when the Borough was incorporated, the town was named Mount Holly Springs for the holly trees that grew in the gap of the mountains through which the Mountain Creek flowed.  In the mid-1800's the town was a popular summer resort as people flocked to 'Holly Park', which is now the site of the Mount Holly Marsh Preserve.  The Holly Trolley was the mode of transportation to travel from Carlisle to the park. 


Additional information